Speaking of Domhnall Gleeson (as I was in my last post), I went to see the movie Brooklyn the other day.
It’s light fare but very good and Domhnall (whom I like a lot) is very good in it, as he always is.
But the star of the show by far is Saoirse Ronan. She is just excellent. She has been nominated for a BAFTA and a Golden Globe and has already won a slew of awards including:
- Boston Online Film Critics Association
- British Independent Film Awards
- Detroit Film Critic Society
- Florida Film Critics Circle Awards
- New York Film Critics Circle Awards
- San Francisco Film Critics Circle
- Santa Barbara International Film Festival
- Washington DC Area Film Critics Association Awards
Fingers crossed for her in the Oscars.
There are also very nice appearances in the movie from Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters.
While the story is fairly light as I mentioned it is scoring 7.8 on IMDB at present which is very respectable. It is quite moving – my wife can certainly attest to its ability to provoke tears!
BTW: I saw Domhnall outside the Browne Thomas store before Christmas and I managed to resist the urge to go up to him to say how much I admire his work!
Here is a video of Kate Winslet talking to Saoirse about the movie: